[Greenbuilding] one more pleasure (or not) of heating with wood

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 30 22:52:45 CST 2010

If I can make a bad analogy - a woodstove is like a diesel tractor - can be
abused and keep on running - whereas a 'heating system' is for a consumer
something more like a car that needs to be kept current and have all the
bells and whistles - something big with a big logo (has to have a lot of
'tonnage'). Not sure which is better but both have a degree of stubbornness,
and chauvinism attached to them.

That said - wood is no longer technically a primary heating system in houses
based on insurers requirements and costs for insurance so there will always
be some other 'primary' form of heating in place.

I have a love-hate thing with woodstoves. Based on the love of the form and
quality of the heat and our rural life we used it for years. My hatred stems
from the basic pollution of a wood stove and how they fail and the
consequences of that failure in 'wood burning communities'.  I spent the
majority of my life in heavily polluted cities and where I live now rurally
is quite pristine in terms of air except in the winter where levels can
exceed an urban smog index. This is true of a lot of rural communities in
the world.

This can be improved upon and a masonry stove is the ultimate (and the only
option that I have flogged) but that is a major investment and generally is
only purchased by people that can afford it as a secondary major heat
investment and decoration. The default for people is the basic low cost
(approved?) plate steel woodstove which breaks down very quickly - loses
efficiency and subsequently doesn't meet any of the emissions standards they
are supposed to and then goes on being used for a decade or so. The classic
cast iron stoves work well but still need to be maintained on a regular
basis to meet emission standards and at a certain point need to be totally
overhauled. Historically in my area the classic loggers woodstove was a 50
gallon drum with a door and flue welded on to it. Our community is currently
offering $500 rebates to 'anyone' that will turn in an old stove and get
something a little cleaner to pull in those 30 yr old stoves.

What got to me personally is that regardless of how well I had planned
burning we are subject to rapid weather changes - including inversions and
wind patterns that could quickly create a negative pressure and bring that
smoke back into our house. That was not the environment I had planned for my
children despite the romance of the wood fire and the easy access I have for
wood. We have switched to a hot water radiant system that is being converted
now to solar - still not ideal but I think an improvement in the community
and for my household.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____