[Greenbuilding] Thin High R-value insulation for exterior

Vadurro, Rob, EMNRD rob.vadurro at state.nm.us
Mon Nov 1 09:32:05 CDT 2010

Here in NM, we regularly stucco over foam boards or spray-on foam. What
I've found is that 2" is the maximum thickness that the screws (for the
stucco netting) available will reliably support the stucco (about 1" of
cement, sand mix). I assume a similar structural problem exists for your
stone veneer? You can go with the XPS (extruded polystyrene) which has
more structural value and better insulation, but has a
worse-for-the-environment blowing agent than EPS (expanded polystyrene).

Rob Vadurro AIA, LEED AP
Park Architect
New Mexico State Parks
P.O. Box 1147