[Greenbuilding] Clay Plaster--Base Coat

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 9 17:44:48 CST 2010

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:19:41 -0500, Michael O'Brien <obrien at hevanet.com>
wrote:

> I added some more photos of our studio showing the wall plastering
> process.
>
> www.flickr.com/photos/mikeobrienpdx/sets/72157625195842336

Mike;

Thanks for putting up the photos.
As Sergeant Schultz would have said: "Ve-e-e-errrry intayrestink !"

I'm afraid that either my old memory has forgotten and/or I was too
scatter-brained to notice and/or your messages got filtered out by my
Mailwasher program but as far as I'm aware, I have no recollection of
descriptions of the process so apologies if the following are
stoopit/redundant questions that have already been asked and answered on
this List.

I seem to have some sort of faint memory of your locale as being somewhere
in the Pacific NorthWest ?

If that is accurate, I'm wondering if you monitored the moisture content
of the earth/cedar mulch mixture and recorded the time vs MC in a chart or
table somewhere and/or provided something like the "Truth Window" of
strawbale construction to see what's happening inside the walls ?

I ask because I know that people who have made earthen floors in inland
regions of the PNW (ie the Kootenays, British Columbia) reported that the
floors took an interminably long time to dry, so much so that they were
considering mechanical means to dry them out, being concerned that
microbial activity would develop in the straw admixtures if left to dry on
its own. I realise that cedar mulch has pretty good natural rot resistance
if it consists mostly of shredded sapwood but nevertheless, I have seen
blue/black moulds develop on juicy Eastern White cedar sapwood just
beneath the bark.

I only glanced at the collection of wee thumbnails and it appeared that
there was some sort of solid sheathing installed on the exterior so I'm
guessing that drying would have occurred to the interior through the lath
strips ?

Me ? I gotta go watch a hockey game. (Ottawa Senators vs Atlanta
Thrashers.)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom