[Greenbuilding] Ground source Heat pumps

Dan Barry mr.danbarry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 03:22:09 CST 2010

I am overseas and my library is a bit limited.
     While reading *Heat Pumps, An efficient heating and cooling alternative
*, by Dremot McGuigan;  I read of John Sumner's ground source heat pump
placed under his vegetable garden (470 feet of 1"copper pipe  under 1370 sq
feet for hydronic heating of  1700 sq foot house) Location is Norwich
England.

1) Anyone read his books?[*Domestic Heat Pumps,Introduction to Heat pumps*]

2) Anyone heard of the use of a vegetable garden or lawn as a ground source?

3) My retirement home is in Leander Texas on a rocky mountaintop(300 meters)
. If I could use  a garden heat sink I would add raised beds to my entire
front or side yard (the only flat spots close to the house).  Bed rock and
calichi are located 1.5 feet below the surface. This would also be the only
land moist enough to do the job. Cooling is the emphasis not heating. The
only other land is currently occupied by the septic drainfield.
--
Dan
Barry