[Greenbuilding] mini split? Always?

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:52:49 CDT 2010

A wood stove has far fewer problems with distribution, but more problems with comfort.
Wood stoves are very high temperature heat sources: surface temperatures of 300 F and higher are not uncommon.  This generates a powerful plume of rising hot air that moves air around rather aggressively in all connected spaces.  Like mini-splits, the heat does not get to rooms with closed doors, but at least wood stoves mix and churn the air in open areas.
That said, they tend to have comfort problems due to overheating, especially radiant asymmetry. Interestingly, people dont mind getting baked in winter as much as they mind being a little cold in a back bedroom.
Pellet stoves and zero-clearance fireplaces increasingly include some interconnection to an air handler to overcome some of the distribution problem, and both have heat shields to convert more of the radiant heat into convective air heating.  Pellet stoves also respect "modern lifestyles" of people not being home for 10 hours a day while they work, not wanting to get up at night to refuel, etc.