[Greenbuilding] straw clay

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 14 23:12:52 CDT 2010

Hi Chris,

Locally we have Elke Cole - a trained architect with lots of hands on
experience as a resource with potential model 'code approvals'' for your
area. Call me for discussion on that.

Leichtlehm or clay/fibre as building science is still a bit out there.
People talk about r values of 48-50 for an 18" wall but all we really have
in terms of science is corresponding values for strawbale which is a little
more investigated and I think the consensus at this point is that it yields
maximum uniform values of about r1.5 per inch which is quite a bit lower -
so that tells you that you can expect significantly lower values with
clay/straw.

It is a great material however and seems to be working in our climate -
labour intensive.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca