[Greenbuilding] straw clay

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Fri Oct 15 14:01:45 CDT 2010

  I'm a 5'0" tall, overweight almost-50 year old woman who spends too
much time at a desk.  I've also had experience with many forms of
natural building, so I've been on a variety of natural building sites
and I know what the labor of natural building feels like. ALL forms of
natural building are labor-intensive--that is surely true.  But I don't
understand how it can be argued that--on that continuum of natural
building--straw clay could be classified as being on the "labor
intensive" end of that spectrum.

When I was taught to build with straw clay, we simply put straw on a
tarp, poured thin mud on it, stirred the straw a bit with our hands, and
then "fluffed" the tarp up and down to distribute the mud.  Done.  Then
all we had to do was place it into the forms.  There are reasons I might
not choose light straw clay, but labor is certainly not one of them and
I'm a wimp.

--Leslie