[Greenbuilding] wall envelope - rainscreen

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 16 17:13:41 CDT 2010

I have an inspector insisting on full 25mm embedment for a fastener so full
1x3 or include it in my eng. schedule which is fine but onerous. Problem
here is standard furring is fir, generally not well graded, and splits far
too much - I'm just not comfortable with that - this is seismic area and
only so much staggering you can do on a 1x3. Ply battens are an option - but
I'm really looking at a different assembly for the bulk of the walls.

Since we are looking at render finishes (I have to say I like them for the
coast - we seem to be getting much heavier rain periods alternating with
sun) I'm comfortable with the foam as a substrate cladding)and putting the
capillary break at the wrb at the sheathed structural wall. Nice stable wall
for a good wrb and flashing details and the gap seems to provide some
additional potential drying of the wall.

I know wufi (the lbnl version) can't model ventilation flow but the airspace
did provide in the model for lower moisture content in the sheathing. I also
modelled it in therm looking at condensation in the assembly. Like I said
though I don't have practical experience of this assembly - but I do like
the notion of providing some drying potential at that point in the assembly

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca