[Greenbuilding] Light Clay Walls

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 20 23:20:48 CDT 2010

Thanks Mike,

I'm encouraged to see this thread developing (thanks to the eye candy that
you are providing). I've long been a convert to an interior clay finish
(starting with milk/clay paint recipes that I worked on for a while) - there
is a quality to the air and the eye that is pretty hard to describe.

I've been playing with wax paints (encaustic) for a bit - started with it as
I used to do encaustic painting as a youth but in terms of building finishes
I thought it could playfully do something in a kitchen/bath type area both
as a phase change material (coping with quick temp change) and with excess
moisture in those areas as an 'antifungal'. There is some interesting info
about permeability (thanks to the citrus industry and others) and a lot of
info and anecdote about antifungal properties. Nice aesthetic ast well. Hard
to quantify the flammability aspect.

Was curious if anyone else was playing with ingredients.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca