[Greenbuilding] HRV or ERV

Steven Tjiang steve at tjiang.org
Tue Oct 26 23:05:14 CDT 2010

Eli,

Your analysis seem correct for your climate.  If there is no active source
of moisture removal an ERV would only delay the inevitable equalization of
humidity between the external and the internal.

However, an ERV will ventilate and help to preserve higher humidity in an
air-tight house during cold, dry winters when there are internal sources of
moisture generation,  i.e moisture from occupants and plants, as well as
regular house hold activities such as cooking, and bathing.  An ERV probably
isn't sufficient on its own to preserve the humidity but it can help.

---- Steve (KZ6LSD)