[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 14 13:15:21 CDT 2011

> Why does it have to last 40 years?
> What's wrong with using something natural and replacing it every 10 - 15?

> The problem with cedar that will actually last 40 years in ground
> contact is that it is likely from old-growth.

> RPL is often the way to go when looking for durability in exterior
> applications.

Years ago (20 ?) when garden tools first started appearing with
plast-eccchhh! handles I bought a bunch (some D-handled spades, forks,
hoes, cultivators etc) thinking that they should last forever without my
having to do the yearly treatments with linseed oil that I do with my
wooden-handled tools.

The plast-echhh ! seemed like a good idea because I thought that I would
be able to leave them out in the garden in between uses and have them
right where I needed them.

Of course, I should have known better because *NOTHING* that I've had that
was made as a plastic substitute for the real thing (wood, metal) has ever
lasted.

If it's not deterioration as a result of UV exposure, it's shattering due
to brittleness in cold weather or it's being chewed to bits by some little
buck-toothed furry critters thinking that it was food .

It was the middle of January or so just this past winter when I grabbed a
plast-ecccchhh!-handled spade from an open-sided shed (rather than dig out
the feets of snow in front of the door of a garden shed) to do some quick
digging...
and the danged thing snapped off right where the plastic shaft enters the
shank of the blade. @&^#@#*#&(@# eh ?

OTOH, I still have/use some wooden-handled garden tools that my Mom used
to use in her garden.

As for plast-ecchhhh! lumber:

Many of my neighbours used plast-ecchhh! lumber for their decks. You know,
the stuff that costs # times what real wood costs.
I have yet to see one that hasn't experienced cracking and splitting, one
(much to the alarm of my neighbour) splitting in as little as over the
course of the first winter.

But back to the subject at hand:

I'd suggest that salvaged-from-a-nearby-source (ie within 5 miles or less)
concrete block would be one of the better choices for the task of
coralling the soil in raised vegetable beds. I was fortunate to have a
fellow just three sideroads up from me, deconstruct an old dairy that was
on his property. Nice, limewashed, 8"x 8" x 16" three-hole CMUs (ie
thicker walls and webs than the modern 2-holed CMU), stacked neatly so all
I had to do was back up my truck to the stacks, fill up my truck and take
'em home.  And he wouldn't take any money from me either.

There are usually any number of sources for salvaged CMUs if one lives
near a large-ish urban centre because there are always developers tearing
down old buildings to throw up condos or strips malls etc.

The problem with CMUs is that they're heavy so if you're hauling them with
something like a pickup truck & trailer, it doesn't take all that many to
make up a tonne or two so you really don't want to have to make a
bazillion long drives back and forth to haul them home, hence the "5 mile
(or so): criteria stated earlier.

Even better would be to have the deconstruction contractor have their
backhoe load the blocks into their dumptrucks and deliver them to your
site, usually at no charge other than maybe some coffee and doughnuts to
coerce them to dump at your site rather than some other site.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom