[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Fri Apr 15 13:31:00 CDT 2011

No, no, no. Trex is NOT recycled plastic lumber.
Trex is termed wood-plastic composite lumber. The
ASTM standards do not allow Trex to be called
recycled plastic lumber because it is composed of
(50% or so) of wood. Trex will not last 'forever'
nor, according to Trex, even more than 10 years
(I believe that is the length of their warranty -
but I may be wrong about that, as they've worked
with their formula over the years).

Only materials made with either all plastic
components or plastic and fiberglass will resist
the elements outdoors for 200 years or more (the
estimate for HDPE RPL or RPLs with HDPE and
fiberglass). These materials do not stain, warp,
rot or take on moisture, or leach any chemicals.
They are virtually non-reactive with water and
other water-based solutions.

But Trex and other wood-plastic composite lumbers
have been backed by large amounts of capital, be
it from Mobil (Trex, back in the day) or timber
companies, Weatherbest, etc.

True RPLs, because they last so long and don't
use any sawdust, have been unable to find the
kinds of backing that corporations are willing to
give to shorter-lived products, and thus labor in
obscurity - even though they have been used by
the US Army Corps of Engineers for bridges that
can accommodate tanks and even locomotives.

tim keating

At 9:45 AM -0700 4/14/11, Kathy Cochran wrote:

>Recycled Plastic Lumber  =è  Trex, or similar products?
>
>From:
>greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298