[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

William R Bloom wbloom at unm.edu
Fri Apr 15 17:04:38 CDT 2011

Be careful with the material you spec.

"Only materials made with either all plastic components or
plastic and fiberglass will resist the elements outdoors
for 200 years or more (the estimate for HDPE RPL or RPLs
with HDPE and fiberglass).
These materials do not stain, warp, rot or take on
moisture, or leach any chemicals. They are virtually
non-reactive with water and other water-based solutions."

HDPE or high density polyethylene has poor UV resistance
causing it to rot when exposed to sunlight.  It can be
clad with a UV resistant cladding or otherwise stabilized.
 The recreational vehicle industry learned this lesson in
the 1960's when the exterior plastic fenders, exterior
trim pieces and other parts began to rot off the sides of
the motorhomes from sunlight exposure.  Its amazing how
quickly this can occur.

Reference:
  http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_info_hd_polyethylene.asp

I would assume/hope that the plastic lumber manufacturers
use a stabilizing agent when forming their products. It
wouldn't scare me away, but I would want to be sure its UV
stable.