[Greenbuilding] Opinions on electric tankless HW heaters?

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Wed Apr 20 14:24:46 CDT 2011

Steve: Tests funded by Virginia power show wastewater heat recovery combined with a HPWH keeps the tank's upper element off during long hot showers; thereby keeping the EF near the COP.
Frank: I can refute "Nick's idea that they only manufacture 13KW tank-less hot
water heaters." because I installed a 15 kW unit made by Keltech in 1996. It still uses our existing 150-Amp service installed over 2 decades ago.
   Also, you seem to have missed my point, our system's been saving 50 to 60 mmBtu/year (14.5 to 17.5 MWH/yr) since 1906 compared to the original oil/electric hybrid system like those installed 20-30 years ago in millions of homes and apartment houses. AND and it's Solar-PV ready.
    With DHR, we only need 10kW to take a hot shower and heat our house. To do this I simply removed a 20-Amp fuse from our 60 Amp Accutemp C150 tankless heater made by Keltech.
Carmine
P.S. You can read the report @ gfxtechnology.com/tests.html