[Greenbuilding] Opinions on electric tankless HW heaters?

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Wed Apr 20 18:47:35 CDT 2011

I don't think you do.

I have been using a tankless electric water heater for over forty years.

For a considerable part of that time, that heater has been used in
conjunction with a drain water heat recovery device, indeed the development
of the latter was partly stimulated by the presence of the former.

Now that we have a different electricity metering regime, the tankless
heater is about to be retired.

I don't actually promote any kind of water heater.

I do raise cautions about using tankless heaters. I don't expect you to
understand them, or even properly read them, but others may get some value -
particularly those with green building interests who live in areas with
variable electricity tariff and coal fired power stations.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW