[Greenbuilding] critters in the foam

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 22 10:31:43 CDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:54:12 -0400, Sacie Lambertson
<sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> critters are boring through my roof
> foam thereby causing my house to lose insulation.
> The roof is a standing seam roof immediately beneath which is 30# felt
> and many inches of EPS   The mice must get past the metal roof,
> probably via the many small openings present in a standing seam roof.

I'm going to take a WAG and assume that the EPS of the roof is in the form
of SIPs ?

If that's the case then I'm going to assume (having never seen a
store-bought SIPs up close) that the weak points
are the edges (ie at the eaves, gable ends and ridge) and possibly at the
edge joints between panels ?

And if that guess is accurate, my first question would be :

" How are the fascias, soffits and ridge caps detailed ? (ie are the gaps
in the materials that are over 0.25" in width ?)"

ie If I were a little, buck-toothed furry critter, I probably would try to
attack the exposed edges of foam core of the SIPs panel rather than try to
gnaw through a layer of steenking, glue-infested OSB skin sheathing.

If the entry points are in fact through the openings in the standing seam
roofing, my second question would be:

"How are the top and bottom ends of the standing seam ridges detailed ?
(ie did the roofers fold the sheet metal over to close off the hole at the
ends of the ridges (typically what is done when the panels are formed on
site by skilled sheet metalworkers) or insert any sort of a cap to close
off the hole (as might be done with pre-formed panels)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom