[Greenbuilding] can anybody help with my hot water heating problems?

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:07:21 CDT 2011

Answers:

> Is the boiler firing only when when two zones come on or when another zone
> pump besides the main floor pump comes on?
when another zone other besides the main floor comes on.

> What is the temperature reading of the boiler water when for the main floor
> pump is running by itself?
When the other zones stop calling for heat, the water temp goes all
the way down below 100 f

> Where you having the problem with the boiler not firing for the main floor
> zone prior to the pump being replaced?

No, it was fine for awhile

> Have you checked your wiring connections?
No--the wiring is complicated to me. But when the main floor
thermostat calls for heat, the pump definitely turns on. I will have
to figure out how the signal gets sent to fire the boiler.

> What is your reasoning in thinking you have a  pump going bad?  Similar
> service life hours of the one that failed?  Bearing noise?

Service life, and i did witness a similar occurrence of that zone
getting heat after another floor called for it. I decided to replace
the pump when i figured out that that pump's motor was getting
extremely hot. I did not check the water temp in the boiler. I can see
where you are going with this. The water in the boiler is cold, so
it's not like the pump is being called to shut off so it probably is
not a pump problem.

I guess i should dig into the wiring?

> Opinions worth the price charge
> Sam