[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:43:27 CDT 2011

Jason,
I was assuming that Bill was going to blow cellulose insulation in from the
exterior likely by drilling holes in the wall and inserting a nozzle.  It
would be nice if Roxul made  a blow-in product similar to cellulose.  I am
interested in using Roxul in place of styrofoam or Poly Iso (can't say
styrofoam now without thinking of Mr. Rob Tom's "plast-ecchh!") and the
local Orange  box store in my area has Roxul products available via special
order.   Would you recommend using the Roxul "Drainboard" product over the
Cavity Rock where battens/furring strips are going to be installed for a
rain screen siding application?

Bill, if you are going to leave the sheathing on make sure you get a good
contractor for installing the cellulose since you can easily have voids in
the wall from wiring and settling or as in the case of the house I live in
balloon framing open to the crawl space. Most rental blowers are under
powered to get a good density.  If you are taking the sheathing off than you
are open to more possibilities.
My preference on the one project I have done is to put the weather resistive
barrier over the sheathing so all the penetrations can be detailed properly
prior to the rigid insulation being installed.  I know this is what Martin
Holladay @ Green Building Advisor likes to call a "Belt and Suspenders"
approach since a wrb is not really necessary with foam.  Attention to detail
at all the penetrations and joints can't be stressed enough.
I would be curious to see your approach for the shingle siding installation
if you are using a rain screen.  It seems to me you would need to add
vertical furring strips and then horizontal strips at the nailing schedule
heights.  I have a project in the works where I would be installing board
and batten siding and figure  I would need to do something similar.
Alternative siding source would be to find a building materials re-use store
or salvage. Some Habitat chapters have a "Re-store" retail outlet or
something like Samuel Mockbee, who used some 80 Chevy Caprice windshields
purchased for $80 to do a glass facade of a building.
www.flickr.com/photos/
g_agnew/1393757857/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/g_agnew/1393757857/>

Best of Luck

Sam