[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Thu Apr 28 10:44:02 CDT 2011

Given the plastics used by the wood-plastic composite manufacturers,
the same would hold true.

All the RPL manufacturers of which I know use UV stabilizers (such as
carbon black).

Hey, if the US Army Corps uses the material for tank bridges, I'm
sure it'll work for raised beds.

tim keating

At 4:04 PM -0600 4/15/11, William R Bloom wrote:
>Be careful with the material you spec.
>

>"Only materials made with either all plastic components or plastic
>and fiberglass will resist the elements outdoors for 200 years or
>more (the estimate for HDPE RPL or RPLs with HDPE and fiberglass).
>These materials do not stain, warp, rot or take on moisture, or
>leach any chemicals. They are virtually non-reactive with water and
>other water-based solutions."
>
>HDPE or high density polyethylene has poor UV resistance causing it
>to rot when exposed to sunlight.  It can be clad with a UV resistant
>cladding or otherwise stabilized. The recreational vehicle industry
>learned this lesson in the 1960's when the exterior plastic fenders,
>exterior trim pieces and other parts began to rot off the sides of
>the motorhomes from sunlight exposure.  Its amazing how quickly this
>can occur.
>
>Reference:  http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_info_hd_polyethylene.asp
>
>I would assume/hope that the plastic lumber manufacturers use a
>stabilizing agent when forming their products. It wouldn't scare me
>away, but I would want to be sure its UV stable.

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298