[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:16:29 CDT 2011

Rob
The curtain wall idea is intriguing.  Do you know of a source for the sheet
metal clips or similar?

This also got me thinking about a Larsen Truss style retrofit where you cut
off the roof over hang, wrap the walls and roof with trusses (offset to the
studs to stop thermal bridging but attached at the rim joist and wall
plates) and then filling the cavities with cellulose. You would likely need
some sort of sheathing on the exterior but maybe a good weather resistive
barrier would work and your horizontal nailers for the shake siding.
You could then create a continuous air/vapor thermal barrier on the exterior
of the structure.
Another idea would be to use I-joist attached similarly, this would then
allow you to use a batt product like Roxul on walls if so inclined.

Sam