[Greenbuilding] Another Day. Another Challenge....Dishwashers this time!

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Mon Aug 1 11:54:02 CDT 2011

I have had a problem with my dishwasher running too long.  There were
also problems with the racks, so I called for warranty service.  The
service person tells me that the cycle length is the result of using an
energy efficient dishwasher with a tankless water heater (Rinnai)
as the D/W doesn't draw enough to kick in the tankless, so tries to heat
the water itself.  My D/W a GE has an on-board heater, but it's not
intended to heat from cold.

There are problems with the racks that require the D/W to be replaced,
so I'm now looking for a model that will heat on board from cold (or a
way to run the d/w with cold water without excess energy usage to heat
it).  I'm told that a Fischer & Paykel D/W will do both, but it's beyond
my budget.

Has anyone else encountered this?  If so, what did you do?

Thanks!

Lynelle
--
Effective immediately, please use the following e-mail address to reach
me: lynelle at lahamilton.com