[Greenbuilding] Cooling with hydronic?

David Dwyer dadwyermd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:40:17 CDT 2011

Hello everyone: (and Lynelle)

Does anyone have experience or direct knowledge of using a radiant heat set
up like a heat pump in reverse for cooling a residence? We are planning a
new home, using ICF technology with hydronic heat, supported by a heat pump.
Our three acre lake will act as the heat source.

I was reading the thread about an energy saving dishwasher and on-demand
water heater. I wonder if an on-demand hot-water circulating pump would be
more efficient, and a better value. You could install the version that
allows you to push an activation button and circulates water back to the
heater until the water temperature delivered is as hot you want. With a
delayed start feature on the dishwasher, you could activate the pump, set
the delay for 5 minutes, and walk away. The savings realized buying a less
expensive dishwasher, not having to use an inefficient method to heat the
dishwasher water, and not sending water down the drain waiting for the
on-demand water heater to achieve the desired temperature could be applied
to the circulation set up. The added benefit of being able to have hot water
at the kitchen sink without sending water down the drain appeals to me as
well.

If you have an interest in strawbale, visit my blog.

http://www.strawbaletimberframe.blogspot.com

David A. Dwyer, MD, FAAEM

*"In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy."* * Karl
Reiland ***