[Greenbuilding] Crushing Clay

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 3 12:45:45 CDT 2011

Ladies and gentlemen,

I wonder if I can tap into your collective intelligence and ingenuity to come up with a simple, cheep, mechanical system for crushing dry clay into a coarse powder.

The mechanism could be store-bought or home-made and needs to be able to stand up to the task of crushing lumpy dry clay - typically 1 inch minus - down to powder.

It could be hand-driven but would preferably be electrically powered.

I tried using a cement mixer with a large smooth rock to pulverise the clay but, while this system did produce good results, it also damaged the mixer by creating bulges on either side where the rock impacted.

For those that are curious, the clay powder is part of my rammed earth mixture which will be used - either unstabilised or with 1% lime stabilisation - to form the foundation of my new workshop. (see website below)

I look forward to your suggestions!

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net