[Greenbuilding] Solar Oven

gromette at frontier.net gromette at frontier.net
Wed Aug 3 18:07:19 CDT 2011

Our solarium is our primary heat source; a sunny midday in winter is
typically 85 to 95 degrees F there. I figure the solarium glass may be
cutting some of the gain to the cooker but the ambient heat of the
room probably makes up for it.

A 20 degree F day in Gunnison in January is a heat wave, so we don't
set the cooker up outside in winter. Afternoon showers this time of
year (July-Aug) has kept me from using the oven outside in summer. (We
seldom get above 85F in summer, but thanks to climate change that is
changing.) That's my excuse, anyway. I really should give it a
try--setting it up off the ground or deck to thwart the neighborhood
critters.

I really need to use it more...maybe this post and converstion will
inspire me.

--Cate
Gunnison, CO
(current temp @ 5pm = 68F)