[Greenbuilding] Crushing Clay

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Fri Aug 5 20:12:59 CDT 2011

Steve,

I just finished work on a straw clay structure on Salt Spring Island, BC. Technique there was to screen the clay, using manual pressure against a chicken wire screen. The resulting 1/2" minus went straight in to a mortar mixer (which is different than a cement mixer) with water. The paddles seemed to do an efficient job of creating slip quickly (15-ish minutes), 4 to 7 gallons per batch.

Chris Koehn
TimberGuides Design • Build
Van Isle BC

Steve wrote: .."I wonder if I can tap into your collective intelligence and