[Greenbuilding] Crushing Clay

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 7 00:36:09 CDT 2011

Appropriate technology - one of my favourites was a fish fertilizer machine
that was a outboard motor mounted on a 50 gallon drum, doubt that would work
with hardened clay but made a great smelly fish soup.

The thing with effective technology is that it should be lazy and effortless
and ideally a byproduct. Felts for yurts were made by dragging behind horses
while travelling. Can't drag a bag of clay behind you while you drive to
work (or could you??) but there must be some redundant up and down kind of
energy that can be utilized somewhere.

I probably missed something in this thread but why are we crushing dry clay?
The pure clay deposit I have on my property is a wall of wet clay over a
creek. It is wet as most clay deposits around here are - took a long time to
dry some out. For rammed walls (is that what we are talking about?) you
don't need dry clay you just need it to boost the soil mix and you need some
moisture to make the mix so it seems easier to dry the soil and add whatever
clay is needed as a wet ingredient to get the right moisture levels. I think
I am missing something.

Problem with my clay is that the natural fibre content was too short (no
jokes please) resulting in brittle clay. Easy fix is to add fibre. Strength
is always about fibre content. Now how about a machine that shreds old
polyester carpets while pulverizing clay.