[Greenbuilding] Energy and power...

Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering ghowell at hme.ca
Sun Aug 7 15:06:30 CDT 2011

Thanks for peoples' comments on my energy and power presentation... I
actually had an electric utility chap at one of my presentations in
Juneau Alaska last April beaming from ear to ear because he was
relieved at hearing someone finally telling how it really is... he
himself has had a hard time getting people in his own utility to
understand these concepts.

If anyone wishes me to add to or change any aspect of my
presentation, I would be interested in hearing from you privately.  I
learned a lot myself in trying to figure out what to say and how to present it.

At one level it is fine for people to mix up units in thinking about
it themselves (but oh how many people I've seen who get themselves
into a knot because they don't understand the units)... but when
these same misunderstandings start to drive policies and attitudes in
governments and companies then I become quite a bit disconcerted.

I think it is quite a skill to be able to hear peoples' comments and
reply in a courteous way -- I've learned the hard way myself.

I appreciate peoples' contributions to the list.

+Gordon Howell
Edmonton

=================

=================

>Gordon, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to put together
>your explanation of the difference between Power and Energy. What I
>don't appreciate is people who are rude or disparaging of the honest
>efforts of others.
>
>Steve Satow
>www.naturalbuildingsite.net
>naturalbuilding at shaw.ca

Thanks for the "Energy, power and electricity" pdf.  A very
informative presentation.