[Greenbuilding] Whitewash for roofs?

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 13:30:47 CDT 2011

I was in a meeting the other day and someone asked me about the utility of white-washing roofs with traditional whitewash solutions.  Here’s basic info from wikipedia on the subject.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewash .  The goal of course is to achieve the energy savings available from white roofs at a lower cost than conventional paints, even though it would have to be reapplied every few years.  I was wondering if anyone had had any actual experience with this.  I’m wondering how whitewash would adhere to asphalt shingles.  If this would work, it could be a boon to low income communities everywhere.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City