[Greenbuilding] Earth-berming an existing home

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 11 08:39:41 CDT 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:37:19 -0400, Leslie Moyer <unschooler at lrec.org>
wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some information on what would be involved in
> berming an existing above-grade home?  We have a typical 70's era brick
> ranch home.

Morely;

I'd suggest simply outsulating the existing structure (to get the thermal
insulation benefit that berming up against the brick veneer might have
provided but without the horrific problems) and build a window sill-height
retaining wall just inside of the drip line of the eaves (hoping that you
have good,wide eaves... 3 ft or more) to get the "earth berm" aesthetic,
if that is a look that you were after.

The ground between the retaining wall and the house should be provided
with drainage  in addition to providing a drainage layer/tile on the berm
side of the retaining wall.

Then you install a Green Roof to complete the "look" and "Voila!" no more
70's ranch home.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom