[Greenbuilding] Earth-berming an existing home

Kat molasses at q.com
Thu Aug 11 16:35:09 CDT 2011

Now that I read your post about the 46 consecutive 100 degree days I'm
understanding why you're thinking earth-berm instead of just insulation,
though!  I think I would tear down the wall on one side and around the
corners and rebuild it as a retaining wall.  Again, insulate it based on
recommendations from buildingscience.com - either with foam on the
outside or foam on the inside.

And I suppose.... I suppose if you built a new retaining wall next to
the outside (per Nick) and you insulated between the brick and the new
wall that you could eliminate the condensation issue.  And if you
drained the space between the walls and the space outside the new wall
using gravel & perf pipe.... maybe that would eliminate the possible
moisture-from-the-exterior problems.  So maybe you can do it, but it
makes me nervous.  At some point basements always get wet, in my
experience.  And if it did get wet you'd be trapping the moisture
between the brick and the wood.

-Kat