[Greenbuilding] Please consider this petition to help reduce eWaste

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 15:36:45 CDT 2011

Hi all,

Apology in advance for the off topic post, but I thought it's something this group would support.

http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-ceo-stop-promoting-e-waste

You have probably seen Microsoft's recent
television advertising campaign promoting new PC purchases. One ad shows a women reluctant to replace her 4 year old PC because she didn't need a new PC. Another campaign is giving away Xbox game systems to new PC
buyers.

Microsoft is doing this so that people will start using Windows 7,
it's latest Operating System. Microsoft has a history of products that
force consumers to buy new equipment, but it has never been so blatant
in asking people to replace their PCs.

We are all aware of the problems of e-Waste. Even when recycled, most equipment ends up in China where the "processing" is causing cancers in children. See 60-Minutes expose of the issue at: Following The Trail Of Toxic E-Waste http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/60minutes/main4579229.shtml

A typical PC, with the occasional hardware upgrade can last over ten years. Why replace it after only four years?

Please ask Microsoft to stop promoting e-Waste.