[Greenbuilding] LBNL Deep Retrofit study

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:32:04 CDT 2011

Having looked at the study a little closer I was surprised that the monthly
kWh figures profiled toward the very end of the presentation are almost all
>500kWh/mo. While the technical wizardry and metering are impressive, the
final numbers are not (to me). I think of these as not so different from the
CA average residential numbers.

Let's not forget that households in all the towns in which these efforts
were underway already use a fraction of the energy consumed by those
profiled, without the benefit of all the high-tech attention. It would be
interesting to know how much attention was paid to energy use behaviors, to
the occupants.

If reductions relative to baseline were the goal then some of the families
profiled in this Australian TV program a few years back did better:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/carboncops/
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/carboncops/facts.htm

Reuben Deumling