[Greenbuilding] JStraub response: Sensors to evaluate ventilation needs

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sat Aug 20 13:42:12 CDT 2011

JStraub's response to earlier message off list.  He approved posting message.  I think it is of interest.

RH is not a measure of IAQ.  It is a measure of human comfort, and too high levels can damage buildings.
ASHRAE 55 covers the comfort side and suggests RH levels of 20 to 60.
ASHRAE 62.2 is a standard.  Of course the number of people is not equal to bedrooms + 1.  But what guess would you make?  The ventilation rates have been calibrated against this assumption. There is no good science to tell you what cfm/sf or cu ft will provide good IAQ.  All we do is set a value that by consensus solves most problems most of the time.
You cant make a sensor for IAQ, because we dont know what to measure: which of the thousands of chemical compounds in the, say, cleaning and building products should you focus on?  Does that mean you should ignore the smell of burnt meat? Foul body odors? Wintertime RH?
The answer has been we ventilate a certain amount, one rate for people (it varies from 3 to 20 cfm per person depending on which standard and when) and one rate to deal with building emissions (varies from zero to 0.06 cfm/sf or 0.2 ACH).
We have experience with hundreds of thousands of homes with mechanical ventilation systems and thousands of commercial buildings (offices use 5 cfm/person +0.06 cfm/sf for example). If ventilate at about half this rate, problems begin to crop up at an increasing rate.  If you are good about avoiding polluting materials, and have some tolerance for odors, you can decreases the rate further with no problems.  Rates of twice this much dont seem to have any noticeable effect on peoples perception or even most pollution levels measured.
CO2 is a reasonably good measure of human occupancy and activity as well as background ventilation.  Hence it is explicity allowed in ASHRAE 62.1 (commercial code) and widely used.  Even when you use CO2 measurement, background ventilation to remove buildng generate odors and emissions is recommended. CO2 only measures the human side of the equation.