[Greenbuilding] Heat from dryers

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 26 14:54:39 CDT 2011

Our two person household averages a little over two loads of laundry per
week and although green it may not be, I use our gas tumble dryer.  Our
propane consumption works out to be about 50 litres a year which doesn't
strike me as overly excessive, all things considered.  What does bother
me is the amount of conditioned air that's exhausted from our home
during the heating season which in our part of the world spans roughly
eight months -- reportedly, in the range of some sixty litres per second
or 200,000 litres per dryer load.

If they should become available in Canada at some future date, I'll
happily replace our vented model with a Bosch heat pump tumble dryer.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNlVoMrRzk

Cheers,
Paul