[Greenbuilding] drying clothes

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 00:39:13 CDT 2011

One trouble with going back to using a clothes line or drying rack I suspect
is that the ubiquitous clothes dryer allowed (encouraged?) those who use one
to become accustomed to doing more--much more--laundry than we/they used to.
I'm incredulous at the average figures the DOE puts out for how many loads
of laundry people ostensibly do in this country. I think the number is 8 per
week on average. With upwards of sixty percent of US households now one- and
two-person affairs this seems nuts to me.
But getting back to my point. If you really do eight loads a week, I could
imagine the line or rack drying could become difficult to manage. My
three-person household averages one load every ten days. Drying that on a
rack isn't bad at all.
So, how to dishabituate folks from doing so much laundry? Just think of all
the benefits in time, energy, water, machine wear, etc. from doing 1/10th as
much laundry as we apparently do now....