[Greenbuilding] Dehumidification

nick pine nick at early.com
Mon Aug 29 07:50:54 CDT 2011

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn <info at ecobrooklyn.com> writes:

>Does anyone know of an energy efficient way to remove humidity from a house
>in Brooklyn NY where humidity outside is high in the summer.

Put some clumping cat litter in a glazed box on the roof and let sun dry it
during the day and move house air through the box at night while trickling
water over the glazing. The house has already been airsealed with a blower
door test?

>I have earthen plaster already...need more dehumidificatiom though.

Ventilating when there's less absolute moisture in outdoor than indoor air
would help. This requires a differential humidistat, aka enthalpy
economizer.

"candtcampbell at juno.com" <candtcampbell at juno.com> writes:

>How does one use racks or hang clothes to dry without them getting stiff?

Let them get stiff? Tumble for a few minutes in a dryer with no heat?

Dan Barry <mr.danbarry at gmail.com> writes:

>We used [a condensing dryer] in Germany for last  2 years, a Zanucci
>(Italian ) model. Much more flexible then the apartment model...

Made out of leather, like fine Italian shoes? :-) Clothes drying would
require little energy if we could use the heat of condensation from an
outgoing clothes stream to evaporate water from incoming clothes, in some
sort of combined-cycle multiple-effect partial dehumidification system, as
in some steam turbines. Do any "condensing dryers" do that?

(PE Norman Saunders always wanted to turn a jet engine into a heat pump,
like an vortex tube http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube with less
rotational energy loss. Spin and compress room air, then extract heat with a
water jacket, then despin and decompress and output cold air through an
output fan on the same shaft as the input compressor fan. Vladamir
Kotelnikov measured a COP of 7 for a large low-energy vortex system in
Siberia.)

The least efficient dryers seem to uselessly dump heat in flowing cold water
vs air, followed by those that dump water vapor into wintertime house vs
outdoor air, then those that condense water vapor and give back sensible
heat vs humidity to wintertime houses, then those that use dehumidifiers
with about 30% of the usual energy consumption. Where are the 10% and 1%
dryers?

Nick