[Greenbuilding] Natural ventilation.

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:27:17 CDT 2011

Hi Frank and Michael
Actually, 60 cfm through a 4" vent is easy if you have a 4" opening in a window.  It is not so easy if we are moving air through, say, 100 feet of equivalent smooth pipe (each 90 degree bend being equal to around 15 ft).
Below are the pressure drops in Pascals for flows of 10 to 90 cfm through 100 ft of 4" pipe
10	2.1
20	7.9
30	17.1
40	29.5
50	45.0
70	85.4
90	137.6
As you can see, even 30 cfm has a pressure drop of 17 Pa, which would require either a serious wind at the top of the stack or a significant temperature rise between the stack and house (eg 100 F or more)
Now 20 cfm might be more reasonable as 8 Pa should be feasible for a solar chimney or a cold winter night or normal light winds.

What will this do for cooling?
Well if the earth tube cools the air to 60 F (plausible but optimistic in 100 ft) with a 75 F indoor temperature, then the cooling provided would be
(75-60)*20 = 300 Btu/hr.
This is equal to 1/20 of a ton of cooling or about the heat output of a person doing housework.
I am certain this level of cooling will be completely unnoticed and will not cool the house by even 0.1 degrees.
Adding a 20 W fan to move 70 cfm would increase the cooling by a factor of 3.5, and still be essentially useless BUT it would easily bring in the 50 to 60 cfm Micheal rightly pointed out is about what is needed for ventilation.

OTOH.  A fan, using say 20 Watts blowing air at 200 feet per minute over a persons body, would make a house at 80 F feel like it is 72F to a person lightly dressed.