[Greenbuilding] Speed of ceiling fan

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Wed Aug 31 09:44:02 CDT 2011

    Having designed and tested fan cooling for my company's central
office equipment (think telephone & internet), I know that 20 watts will
barely get me to the neighborhood of 200 feet per minute in a small
portion of a guided box.  And that's quite a wind.  I can't imagine a
ceiling fan getting anywhere close to 200 feet per minute.
   Also I would point out that the sensible cooling effect of a
wind/breeze is a very strong function of the humidity - just ask all
those folk who weathered the recent heat waves how much a wind helped
when the humidity was upwards from 90%.
   Joe