[Greenbuilding] Speed of ceiling fan

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:42:41 CDT 2011

A ceiling fan is a completely different animal than a fan in an enclosed telco box of fan. So that analogy is not useful.
200 fpm is high but I know that it makes 80F 20 per cent RH air feel like 72 for normal summer office attire which is why I used that value.
T shirt and 50F dewpoint 80F air results in about the same
All of this is in ASHRAE Standard 55 if you want to calculate it.

I have a Kestrel anemometer ($120) and a Kill-A-Watt meter which tells me that a 36" ceiling fan in my 8' ceiling bedroom can indeed deliver 200 fpm lying below it and draw 20W. Of course there are lots of variations.