[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 21:43:51 CST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Michael O'Brien <obrien at hevanet.com> wrote:

> A smoky fire that will be unpleasant and toxic.

Actually that has not been my experience. I believe... that I can burn with
no visible smoke across that whole range (if my brother's moisture meter is
any good, and it should be). None of these moisture levels corresponds to
wood that sizzles--they're not that wet. I think I've understood that the
penalty comes from the need to 'cook off' the extra moisture that ends up
robbing heat that would have otherwise gone into the room.  But I'd like to
know if there have been attempts to quantify this penalty.

Thanks.