[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Dec 13 11:07:54 CST 2011

On 12/13/2011 11:22 AM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> anyway, last
> year I started a distinct ash pile which I will wheelbarrow off next
> spring, so much easier now to just dump ashes, hot or not).  It is funny
> how one learns new lessons even after many years of making fires.

I am not sure that this is a good idea.  There are a bunch of soluble
chemicals in wood ash.  Putting a pile outside will mean that that area
gets too much, while the final resting spot gets not enough.  Unless, of
course, you are collecting the runoff to make gunpowder. :-)

> We never heat our
> 200 sq ft bedroom, indeed open the windows there throughout the winter
> (put gaskets on a sliding door that leads down to the rest of the house.)

I recommend against this.  The problem is that inner walls are not going
to be air tight.  Thus when you open the bedroom window, the stack
effect will make the warm air flow OUT.  This means that the inflow of
air will be from somewhere else in the house (probably the basement).
You are getting fresh air in your bedroom this way.  Additionally, you
may now be getting surfaces in your house which are below the dew point
of the warm air, which means they will be condensing water, leading to
mold and rot.  Sliding doors are also notoriously leaky.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap