[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Dec 13 12:44:14 CST 2011

On 12/13/2011 1:13 PM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> Guess I need to better understand what you mean here Corwyn.  We do not
> use the ash in any way.  We live in Kansas where the soil general is
> pretty alkaline and I have no interest in making soap.  We have 80 acres
> on which we can dispose the ash.  I figure once spring comes I'll simply
> scatter it hither and yon where I would never walk.

It will do what it does regardless of your intentions.  One of the
things it will do is put potassium carbonate (et al) into the soil where
it first encounters water.  This is fertilizer in low concentrations and
plant poison in high ones.  My advice is therefore to not concentrate
the place where the ash gets wet.  Spread it out dry.  If you are taking
the wood from your lot you are moving potassium from where the trees
grow to where you put the ashes.  Best for all concerned if those places
are the same.

> Ventilation is
> achieved via bedroom windows opened opposite each other--or from a
> single large opened window when it is well below freezing.  So far we
> have not frozen the pipes in the tiny adjacent bathroom sink.

I invite you to calculate the air flow through the window (however wide
you open it), and then recognize that all of it is going out, now figure
out where it is coming from.

How many holes do you want in your balloon?

Understand, that I am making general recommendations, not being familiar
with your house, living habits or climate.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap