[Greenbuilding] indoor humidity levels and how to lower them without electricity?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:27:42 CST 2011

Indoor humidity in my house this time of year fluctuates between about 50
and 60%. When we dry our laundry it briefly spikes to the mid-sixties. I've
never thought of this range as humid/too moist, but reading a bit about
this I see that below 50% is considered optimal/preferred. I am not
inclined to run a dehumidifier. Are there other tricks for lowering
humidity indoors?
A few devices I don't have that come to mind are* fans for stove and showe*r.
But I'm not sure where they'd get the makeup air.

Thoughts?