[Greenbuilding] Low powered (wattage) water heatersavailablethrough Hydro Quebec

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Fri Dec 30 17:26:29 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]On Behalf Of RT

>   - Keep your water heater’s temperature at 49°C (120°F).

Probably not the best idea to save a few pennies, recalling a previous
discussion on this List where one Maritimer had the heebie-jeebies about
the high potential for legionella contamination even when the thermostat
is set for 60 degC
-----------------------
Indeed.  And there may be legal considerations. New thermostats around here cannot be turned down below 60.

Although Ottawa Hydro has provided all of its residential clients with
Smart Meters.... I continue to use the timer that I installed in the circuit to the
DHWH when I built my home almost 3 decades ago. I have always had it set
to turn off the supply to the heater's elements for all but the few hours
around the peak hot water demand times (early morning and supper time) \

Smart meters and the timer are for different purposes and one does not supplant the other. The meter determines your tariff and the timer allows you to take advantage of the cheapest tariff. I don't know when your supper time is but it is likely to be when the tariff is high. You should be able to set the timer so that the water heater is only working when the tariff is lowest. If you run out of hot water, this is a clear signal that the tank is too small.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW