[Greenbuilding] Max Temp Storage Water Heaters+Temperature Sensors

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 2 13:41:15 CST 2011

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:41:16 -0500, elitalking <elitalking at rockbridge.net>
wrote:

> I want to know the maximum temp that typical storage electric water
> heater can safely accommodate.
> Does anybody know of a heat sensor and or sound indicator when the water
> reaches a set temperature?

Eli;

Without checking any manufacturers' product literature my guess would be
that the tanks would be designed to easily accommodate temperatures of at
least 212 degF (ie the boiling point of H2O) plus a factory of safety of
25% (WAG).

But the temperature & pressure relief valve will kick in before the water
temperature reaches the boiling point -- 210 degF /150 psi IIRC.

re: sound indicator for when thermostat shuts off current to heating
elements

I'm not a gizmologist and short of Googling "no electric current flow
indicator annunciator alarm"
my guess is that one might be able to pull the controls off of a
diverted-from-the-wastestream electric clothes dryer and jerry-rig
something to do the trick.

Or maybe just connect an ammeter onto the terminals of the heating
elements and leave the meter in a location where you can see the display ?

Perhaps something to consider is laying up a few runs of 3 or 4 inch
diameter DWV pipe into an empty ceiling joist cavity or in a false ceiling
over a hallway where it would hold the 55 degF water from the creek and
allow it to hang around for the better part of a day to temper it before
it gets fed into the water heater so that the heater would only have to
raise the temperature from ~72 degF to your thermostat set point.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom