[Greenbuilding] living wall

Steve steve at greengeek.ca
Sat Feb 5 14:23:43 CST 2011

Hi Gennaro,

> I'm building a 35*20 foot exterior living wall that needs to hold most of
> its weight and is attached to a brick brownstone facade. I am looking for
> long lasting (50 plus?) materials to form the structure.
> Any suggestions?
> Painted chain link and metal beams?

I've been fortunate enough to have worked with several living wall
projects going back to 2004, mostly interior, but of the exterior
walls I've seen the most successful long-term were vines (like ivy) on
a metal trellis, so I think you're definitely on the right track with
the painted chain link and metal beams.
Last year I helped an architect plan a living wall system for a
shipping container project he was involved in, and the vine on trellis
system is what they ended up going with, both for logistics of
attaching it to the metal walls, and near zero maintenance of the wall
once installed & established.

Hope this helps!
-Steve
--