[Greenbuilding] hot water

Clarke Olsen colsen at fairpoint.net
Mon Feb 7 21:38:22 CST 2011

Actually, that is my plan: two 6.5T kw demand heaters will be fed by
water run through a 1,000 gal. tank in the basement which
will be heated with solar panels. Even if it is only 70*f, the boost
will be enough for a serious shower.
Here's a concept on which I would like a second opinion: how to give
priority to the shower when feeding the kitchen from the
same demand heater. My thought is to put a spring check valve in the
line to the kitchen. Not a flap valve, these valves can be
used in any position, because a spring holds a gasket against the
flow. With the pressure drop of an open faucet, water easily
overpowers the spring and pushes past the gasket. But, if the
pressure is low because water is flowing through the unchecked
line to the shower, the spring should become a factor in the flow to
the kitchen.
Clarke Olsen
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165