[Greenbuilding] hot water

Lawrence Lile LLile at projsolco.com
Tue Feb 8 10:37:50 CST 2011

I've had more trouble with spring checks than swing (gravity powered) checks.

I have a small pump that pumps hot water to a coil in the furnace.  It was not able to overcome the backpressure of a spring check, and would hammer.  The spring check would open a little, some water would flow through, put the pump on a different point on it's pump curve, the pump would wimp out, then the spring check would close with a bang.  Whenever the pump started up it was Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! I was not able to make the spring adjustment light enough to stop the problem.  I even took out the spring altogether and it still did it.  A swing check solved the problem.

Spring checks have a much higher pressure drop than swing checks, since the spring is always trying to close the valve.  The swing check has to be installed horizontally to work, but they work quite well.

There are a number of places in a solar system where a check valve can be useful.  A very small heat trap check valve can prevent thermosyphoning and wasting heat at night.  These are little plastic jobbies that aren't perfect seals, but are good enough to stop the gentle pressure of thermosyphoning but not enough to stop a wimpy little El Sid pump.

--Lawrence Lile,