[Greenbuilding] Living with a rainwater cistern (was Re:hotwater)

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Thu Feb 10 20:40:00 CST 2011

Aha! I think I understand the problem, and I have no idea. I guess it
depends on how often the snow melts and how much slides off the roof. There
must be some handy local knowledge on this.

I also guess that, if you are a fairly serious player, you've got it made.
All you need to do is design a tank and catchment specifically for snow.
This can't be hard but it would pay to know a bit about the water volume
compared to snow volume. The aforementioned 36000 litre tank is 6m square
and 1m deep, so a couple of metres of snow falling on it next winter would
be rather nice and whatever slides off the roof will be welcome too.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW