[Greenbuilding] vinegar in wood

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Fri Feb 18 21:17:35 CST 2011

It's certainly an interesting notion but I don't believe the
acetylation process is that simple. There may be some pressure or
heat involved - perhaps meaning that it's something you can't do
easily at home.

I would suggest that a simpler solution would be black locust or
salvaged Atlantic whitecedar, or even more simply, some salvaged
white oak, all of which should last as long (if not longer, in the
case of black locust) than the acetylated softwood.

Btw, the Accoya wood is radiata pine from plantations in Chile. Then
shipped to Europe where it's processed, then shipped here. Those
plantations could, IMHO, be much more sustainable as native species,
selectively logged. But the same could be said for other processed
wood products looking to compete with tropical hardwoods.

tim keating

At 7:55 PM -0500 2/13/11, Gennaro Brooks-Church wrote:
>I came across this wood company that impregnates their wood to make it
>more water resistant.
>From a cursive look it seems the active ingredient is vinegar.
>http://www.accoya.com/technology_the_process.html
>
>Does anyone know about this process? Can I build my next deck from
>salvaged wood impregnated in vinegar?
>
>Gennaro Brooks-Church
>
>Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
>www.EcoBrooklyn.com
>22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298